So yesterday
In my boredom
And in need of a break
From all the reading
I've been doing
In getting ready for a major meeting
Next week
I decided to go and buy stuff to bake a cake
A carrot cake
Only thing was
When I got home after buying
The ingredients I lacked
I found that the carrots that I had
(leftovers from Sept. 4th National Day Reception)
Had all turned limp and darkened in colour
There goes my carrot cake
Then I spied the bananas that I had bought
And ransacked through the recipe books
For a banana cake recipe
ps: I love Betty Saw's books
The one I used was
Many More Kitchen Secrets from Betty Saw
Found one that I had used in the past
So I followed the recipe to the best of my abilities
Except
Instead of a square mould, I used a round one
Instead of really ripened bananas, I used not so ripe ones
Instead of a cup of squished bananas, I used 4 big ones
Here's the dumbest part:
The recipe says to bake in oven
For 25-30 minutes over a temperature of 190 Celsius
I did the temperature for 190 and set the timer for 25 minutes
Tip: to make a cake moist, lessen the time it needs to bake
30 minutes into the baking
I noticed the thing hasn't even cooked right
Something was not right
I opened the oven door
And noticed the heat wasn't even hot
Took a while
But I then realized
I had set the temperature
To Celsius as in the recipe
When, in fact,
The oven I have
Is set on Fahrenheit
So
190 Celsius
Is equivalent to
374 Fahrenheit
SIGH!
So
I had to resent the temperature
From 190 Fahrenheit to 375 Fahrenheit
And it took an hour for the cake to bake
And even then
It was a little damp
On the inside
Lesson learnt!
Next time:
Peanut Butter Banana Cake
In my boredom
And in need of a break
From all the reading
I've been doing
In getting ready for a major meeting
Next week
I decided to go and buy stuff to bake a cake
A carrot cake
Only thing was
When I got home after buying
The ingredients I lacked
I found that the carrots that I had
(leftovers from Sept. 4th National Day Reception)
Had all turned limp and darkened in colour
There goes my carrot cake
Then I spied the bananas that I had bought
And ransacked through the recipe books
For a banana cake recipe
ps: I love Betty Saw's books
The one I used was
Many More Kitchen Secrets from Betty Saw
Found one that I had used in the past
So I followed the recipe to the best of my abilities
Except
Instead of a square mould, I used a round one
Instead of really ripened bananas, I used not so ripe ones
Instead of a cup of squished bananas, I used 4 big ones
Here's the dumbest part:
The recipe says to bake in oven
For 25-30 minutes over a temperature of 190 Celsius
I did the temperature for 190 and set the timer for 25 minutes
Tip: to make a cake moist, lessen the time it needs to bake
30 minutes into the baking
I noticed the thing hasn't even cooked right
Something was not right
I opened the oven door
And noticed the heat wasn't even hot
Took a while
But I then realized
I had set the temperature
To Celsius as in the recipe
When, in fact,
The oven I have
Is set on Fahrenheit
So
190 Celsius
Is equivalent to
374 Fahrenheit
SIGH!
So
I had to resent the temperature
From 190 Fahrenheit to 375 Fahrenheit
And it took an hour for the cake to bake
And even then
It was a little damp
On the inside
Lesson learnt!
Next time:
Peanut Butter Banana Cake
6 comments and hollabacks:
It's obviouly a recipe for disaster! muahahhahha. It's ok since you know what went wrong... bila yang menjadik letak gambar yek!
Syabas!!! Even I dunno how to make banana or carrot cake...next time you'll do better coz you know what went wrong.
well at least u tried....n the experience doesnt seems to deter u from baking lg kannn...bravo!
even I havent been baking 4 years now....huhuhhu
well...it is not a mistake...you just add another step to make a good banana cake...
cayalah...
I'm so touched by all the support you people gave me. Despite my cake turning oh so bad, I still devour it. Cicah ngan kopi dan susu sedap gak tu.
But, my baking will have to wait 2 weeks. I'm off to see the Wizard this Saturday and got me no time to bake.
dok bercerita kek pisang, i smalam pegi carik Roti Canai Pisang! memang kalau nak sedap kena guna pisang yang bebetul masak...
Post a Comment