Friday, June 20, 2008

The One with the 10 Most SIGNIFICANT 1st Times

So, Ms. Vogue tagged me (along with some others) to write about our 10 Most SIGNIFICANT 1st Times (She said non-significant first times don't count, eg 1st wet dream - AS IF!) .

So, here's mine. Hope I made you proud, Ms. Vogue.
PS: I took some 1st times off yours, too, Lonely in Gorgeous, since I can't write about "1st time giving birth", now can I?

1. 1st time flying in an airplane . . .
I was around 5 years old and the family was flying to our first foreign posting (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to Medan, Indonesia). Imagine taking your 4 BOYS on their first flight (ages ranging from 5 to 1 years old - fifth boy to be born at post). I sure did not envy my parents at that time. I remembered the flight attendants doing their usual safety guideline instructions (back then, there were no video presentations) and I remembered watching keenly to them because I wanted to make sure I knew EXACTLY what to do if the plane crashes (in one piece) in the ocean. But what I remembered most about the first time flying in an airplane was that there was a bomb scare. The plane had taxied to the runway, but then stopped. And they made EVERYONE get off - it was a small plane, anyway, so it wasn't a major thing. I remembered that they made us wait under the plane while the bomb team came to inspect the plane. It was a freaking hot day and my brothers and I were running all over the place under the plane playing tag. Come to think of it, I don't remember other kids being on that flight. Again, I do NOT envy my parents at that time. In the end, it was just a hoax and we went off on our flight with no other disturbances.

2. 1st time I realized I was fat (how is THIS significant?) . . .
It was in elementary school and we had just taken the yearbook pictures and were given copies of the pictures. And I looked and mine and realized I didn't know this fat kid with thick rimmed glasses and spiked hair (come to think of it, minus the braces, I kinda looked like that UGLY BETTY chick - except I was a boy and my hair was like a porcupine had decided to settle down on my head). For your information, the fattest I ever got was a little over 90kgs - back around when I was 11 years old. Last Saturday, I weighted myself, and I'm now 80kgs . . . of muscle! YEAH, BABY!
Sorry RAESB, NO CHILDHOOD PICTURES AVAILABLE.

3. 1st time I worked . . .
Wow, can't remember this. I think tutoring does not count. Or babysitting your kid brothers. So, I'm going to say that my 1st time working was with a language centre. I taught English to a bunch of elementary school kids. And my methods were something that they're not used to. But I remembered that they seemed to REALLY like the way I teach. Guess they weren't used to a younger teacher with better ideas.

4. 1st time In Love . . .
Puppy love. I was 7, so was she. Lasted a month. I hooked up with her, and my 3rd brother hooked up with her younger sister. It was adorable, now thinking back about it. I remembered my parents would drive me to their home and I'd spend the day with their family. And in the evenings, they'd send me back. So our families spent alot of time together. Think in the end, we just got bored of spending TOO much time together.

I'd like to take this opportunity to just say:
"You know me. I don't believe in marriage. Now, botox, on the other hand. Works every time." Oh, shush!

5. 1st time I realized I was gorgeous (erk?!) . . .
You people who know me . . . Know how VAIN I am. So how do you expect me to remember this? But I must say, it should be sometime AFTER I finished Form 5 in Malaysia (during the long "vacation" time before I entered college). I had so much time on my hands then, that I decided I needed to start loosing weight before I got into college. So, I watched what I ate - around that time, I had became a vegetarian for 2 years, so I had already lost some weight. And I took up jogging. Let me reiterate here for the benefit of all: ERIQ DOES NOT RUN! So it must have been a drastic decision to have made me do that! But, by the time I joined college I was fit and healthy. And of course, gorgeous.

6. 1st time in the cinemas . . .
That time, one of my brothers and I went back to Malaysia for a holiday (parents and other brothers were still in Medan, Indonesia). I forgot the name of the cinema in Kuala Lumpur - I think it's REX, and I think it's still there. My aunt and uncle brought my brother and I along with their other 3 children (also boys) to go watch SUPERMAN. Not sure which one, but it was the one where there was a machine that turned people into cyborgs. And I remembered screaming at one scene because the machine had captured one of the people and made her into a cyborg and it freaked me out. Hey, give a guy a break. Those were simple times.

7. 1st time performing in public . . .
Seriously, this is a toughie. I grew up practically loving the stage. I was in EVERY school play and talent show. I want to say that the first time I performed in public was for a Christmas play circa when I was 6 years old and I played the Angel of Kindness - got me a big fat "K" chain on my neck to reiterate that fact. My scene was me running to center stage and I had to use my "wand" (come to think of it, angels don't have wands) and touch it unto the 2 actors on stage who were supposed to suddenly be enlightened and help each other out as part of the scene. I remembered that I was short, and one of the actors was this gangly tall fella - and I meant HELLA TALL! I remembered during dress rehearsal, he whispered to me "Eriq, when I see you running my way, I'll bend down so it'll be easier for you". Bless you, Tim. Bless you.


8
& 9. 1st time I flew in First Class (also 1st time I flew alone) . . .
I was 10 or 11 years old and I was travelling alone from one of the family postings back to Malaysia (or the other way around, I can't remember). So I had the "Child Travelling Alone" fat assed sticker on me. I hated that thing. And I was escorted first by a nice lady from the ground crew who made sure I got on board safely. Then the stewardess at the First Class made sure I was seated and buckled in safely. Since I was a "Child Travelling Alone", I was boarded first before the other passengers. I remembered that my seat was the window seat and in the last row of the First Class section. And I also remembered that when the passengers finally came in, they ALL had to pass the First Class cabin. And I remembered slunking down my chair because I did not want anyone to see this lone kid in the First Class cabin all by himself. But, alas, they ALL saw me. And I remembered a bunch of American college kids passing me and laughing and pointing in my direction. I can't remember what they said, but I remembered feeling hurt by their remarks. Whatever, I'm in First Class, and you bozos are in Economy. Bite me! I also remembered the nice American fella that sat next to me in First Class and he talked to me throughout the flight to make sure I wasn't bored. And he asked me at some point if I had ever seen the cockpit of a plane - or as he puts it, "the driver's room" (hey, I was 10 or 11, not an idiot!). And he seemed surprised when I said Never. So he asked the stewardess if she could ask the Captain if I could go see it, and the Captain said YES! Oh, joy. I was soooooo ecstatic about it. And I remembered the Captain explaining how the plane worked, etc etc. And I saw how the sky looked from the front view. It was so awesome! And after I got back to my seat, the American fella was beaming when I relayed to him everything about my experience at the cockpit. Bless you, kind sir.

10. 1st time car . . .
My black Proton Waja (with the license plate: XOIC437 - only a few cars in Malaysia actually have an X in the beginning, so I was hellsa proud). Took me like a year to get it. And at a killer price - was only used previously for like 2 weeks and I got it at a 2nd hand price that was sooooo much cheaper. But so worth it. And I think my friends thought so, too. Considering how much they "love" me to drive them around. Got it after working for a year in my current occupation. Just found out my dad's going to sell it off. Made me sad. But, we can't live in the past.

So, there you have it. My 10 Most Significant 1st times. . . for now.

4 comments and hollabacks:

Anonymous said...

haiyaoooo...im such a vain oso....y lar everybody misunderstood me meh...

1st time tagging game go down the drain...wakakaka

nways...kecik2 lg dah p posting ye bangggg....no wonder....ngeh3

~ayoi~ said...

A label saying "Child Traveling Alone", how can it be more helpful rather been the center of attraction. Its like telling people, I'm a rich bratz (since you're traveling alone in a 1st Class cabin). Sure orang jeling atas bawah.

Anyway, good for you to have the privileged to be in the "driver's room".

Olpicture said...

ohhh... My First car! My first love! my Wira Merah Putrajaya 7714, how can i forgot puting that...

that the thing of the past maybe... a lot of bad memories come with it... no wonder i ram into a lamp post!

qirzah said...

Ms. Vogue,
I think your first attempt at tagging went GOOD! And us vain people mmg always so misunderstood. Nak buat camner, dah mmg dilahirkan shantek.

Ayoi,
Harus lah kena jeling . . tapi lantak lah. All HISstory. Jangan harap lah nak dapat tengok the cockpit anymore in these times.

Olpicture,
Sungguh ku kecewa mendengar bahawa anda telah me"ram"kan your first love into a lamp post. So sadistic.