This morning I was having my breakfast at home, killing time before heading to work. Today, "breakfast" was nothing more than a mug of coffee (with low-fat milk and brown sugar) - too lazy to cook my usual protein enriched tuna omelet or banana milkshake (hold the yolks, please). And out of the blue . . . WHAM! I started reminiscing of the Breakfast Club.
This was back in 2003. I was 23 years old and my head was filled with nonsense of a greater goal of accomplishment. Back then I still had grandeurs of making the world a better place, one step at a time. Well, we were young once . . .
It started with a whole bunch of us. The group that entered the workplace together. All 17 guys and one kick-ass lady. We even had a few honorary members. Every morning, we all tried to make sure that we'd meet up in the office cafeteria to have breakfast together. We did this before the working hours commenced. These times were used to talk about our days, our personal problems, our work problems, our colleagues, our problems with work colleagues and (my personal favorite) gossips. We shared information and helped each other out. Discussed world news (yawn) and who was doing what to whoever else (that was my department).
Normally, I'd be among the first to start the mornings' Breakfast Club proceedings. Unless a certain Mister (Teddy) Bear started ringing me and bugging me to go with him to the cafeteria. He and I were usually the first to arrive at the work place - an hour or more before the working hours are officially started. And Mister JO would call us to make sure we were already down at the cafeteria if he, too, came early. Everyone else would just come because they knew we'd already be ready. Oh, and the kick-ass lady would call us whenever she was late (which was often but not always), just to make sure we were around
Now, let me tell you people. The food in our cafeteria was not worthy of mention. During the 3 years I was there, I think we went through 3 different managements in the cafeteria. And it strike me funny that NONE of them could think to come up with good food. On a few occasions, our kick-ass lady member would call us before she arrives to ask who wants food from outside the cafeteria, as she can buy them on her way to work. Normally, we all do.
Over time, the numbers dwindled. People were no longer keen on coming to the office too early in the morning. Work became a priority and needed to be given its due importance. And some just didn't feel like hanging out anymore. But the few of us that did continue, we did it till the end!
And today, I miss the die hard Breakfast Club members. Honorary members included.
This is for you, chums. Wherever in the world you are now . . .
Cheers!
This was back in 2003. I was 23 years old and my head was filled with nonsense of a greater goal of accomplishment. Back then I still had grandeurs of making the world a better place, one step at a time. Well, we were young once . . .
It started with a whole bunch of us. The group that entered the workplace together. All 17 guys and one kick-ass lady. We even had a few honorary members. Every morning, we all tried to make sure that we'd meet up in the office cafeteria to have breakfast together. We did this before the working hours commenced. These times were used to talk about our days, our personal problems, our work problems, our colleagues, our problems with work colleagues and (my personal favorite) gossips. We shared information and helped each other out. Discussed world news (yawn) and who was doing what to whoever else (that was my department).
Normally, I'd be among the first to start the mornings' Breakfast Club proceedings. Unless a certain Mister (Teddy) Bear started ringing me and bugging me to go with him to the cafeteria. He and I were usually the first to arrive at the work place - an hour or more before the working hours are officially started. And Mister JO would call us to make sure we were already down at the cafeteria if he, too, came early. Everyone else would just come because they knew we'd already be ready. Oh, and the kick-ass lady would call us whenever she was late (which was often but not always), just to make sure we were around
Now, let me tell you people. The food in our cafeteria was not worthy of mention. During the 3 years I was there, I think we went through 3 different managements in the cafeteria. And it strike me funny that NONE of them could think to come up with good food. On a few occasions, our kick-ass lady member would call us before she arrives to ask who wants food from outside the cafeteria, as she can buy them on her way to work. Normally, we all do.
Over time, the numbers dwindled. People were no longer keen on coming to the office too early in the morning. Work became a priority and needed to be given its due importance. And some just didn't feel like hanging out anymore. But the few of us that did continue, we did it till the end!
And today, I miss the die hard Breakfast Club members. Honorary members included.
This is for you, chums. Wherever in the world you are now . . .
Cheers!
0 comments and hollabacks:
Post a Comment